As we all continue to educate ourselves on systemic racism, and so many issues that we’ve realized that we’ve been ignorant of, you might feel like buying a book or two. Instead of purchasing from huge companies, such as Amazon or Indigo, it’s ideal to support small, local bookstores. Along with supporting small businesses during these difficult times, with used bookstores, you’re giving a book a new life, therefore saving it from the landfill.
If you can’t find the book you’re looking for at one of these stores, consider purchasing it from the author’s website, instead of Amazon or another huge chain bookstore. This way, a larger portion of the sale goes to the authors themselves.
Additionally, if you aren’t in the financial position to purchase books, or just don’t feel the need to own a book, The Calgary Public Library has thousands of awesome books. As of Monday, July 20th, all library branches are open, with social distancing and other health protocols in place, along with a contactless curbside pick up system for holds. There’s also seniors’ hours, for the first hour of service each day, and the book returns remain closed.
- There’s a list of anti-racist books that they have on their website
- Now open to public browsing and curbside pickup
- They also have a used and bargain section, good for the environment and your wallet!
- Used book store
- Super cheap!
- Receives books through donations
- They hold book sales for charities some weekends, so you’re helping support good causes.
- Browsing by appointment, curbside pickup, local delivery
- Biggest selection of poetry in Western Canada
- They also occasionally hold events
- Dog friendly
- Customer Loyalty Program
- @shelflifebooks on Instagram
- They also have a location in Inglewood, but it’s temporarily closed due to Storm Water Damage.
- Used book store.
- You can sell your old books for store credit.
- In person shopping and Curbside pickup.
- “Friend of the Nest” sponsorship perks
- Bookstore and coffee shop.
- You can sell your books for 1$ cash or 2$ store credit.
- Currently offering deliveries.
- They also hold events (readings, launches, workshops).
- @thenextpageyyc on Instagram
- New and old books.
- Used and new books.
- Also sells other gift-like items (scarves, etc.)